5. Installing OpenSpy Patches
This tutorial will guide you through the steps to install OpenSpy patches.
OpenSpy is an open-source GameSpy clone which aims to provide 100% compatibility with GameSpy games. Reclamation is the core BF2142 community that utilises the OpenSpy master server.
Apart from Openspy - Reclamation, there are other master servers and communities as well. To name a few, we have NovGames, PlayBF2142 and MAGMA. OpenSpy - Reclamation, however, offers the most long-lasting and stable service with a large and active community for support. That's why in this tutorial, we will focus on getting our game to work with OpenSpy.
A master server is a server that holds the database of your login credentials and soldier data. It also propagates (i.e., broadcasts) game servers to the server browser under its reign, while in return a game server regularly reports the player's in-game progress to the master server. You can regard it as a centralised manager for all game servers under its administration
Installing OpenSpy patches to the game forces the game to connect through OpenSpy instead of the dead GameSpy (i.e., the official master server). This allows the game to work again, especially for the login and online part, after GameSpy's shutdown in 2013.
OpenSpy Server List
- English-speaking community
- All unlockable items are unlocked
- Players: 10+ players on weekdays, 30+ at weekends, on Reclamation servers
- Servers: Reclamation EU, Reclamation US
- Community: Reclamation [Discord]
- Gamemodes: Conquest, Conquest Coop
- Requirements: Install OpenSpy Components via BF2142 Hub
- Requirements: Install Reclamation's map pack (3.8 GB) or maps that the server is running upon
You don't have to play on ranked servers to rank up because you are given all the unlocks right from the start. This provides a very ideal setting for grinding bots on Project Remaster's Conquest Coop (Solo/LAN/Multi) games.
Before proceeding to patch your game, you're strongly advised to backup the following files in your game folder: BF2142.exe, RendDX9.dll
- 1.Right-click the BF2142 Hub shortcut on your desktop. Click Properties. In the Compatibility tab, enable Run this program as an administrator. Click Apply and then click OK.
- 2.Double-click the shortcut to run the app.
- 3.Click Yes when the dialogue Do you want to allow this app from an unknown publisher to make changes to your device? pops up.
- 4.In the Help (question mark icon) tab, check whether the GamePath is pointed to the correct destination or not. If it's not, click the gear icon to locate your game folder.
- 5.Select OpenSpy from the Redirects* drop-down menu. Click the Install button.
- 6.Click Yes when the dialogue Are you sure you want to patch the game? pops up.
- 7.Click Confirm when the dialogue Patch completed, Enjoy! pops up.
- 8.Make sure all checkmarks (i.e., Patch 1.51, BF2142.exe, RendDX9.d, RendDX9ori.dll) are green after patching.
The Reclamation Community operates 2 multiplayer servers, with both running their modified version of maps. So, in order to play on their public servers, you will have to install their map pack or the map that the server is currently running on.
The following steps are optional as they are only required if you want to play on Reclamation's multiplayer servers.
- 1.Under the Download tab, double-click on BF2142 MapPack v1.0. The app will then open your browser and navigate to the download link of the pack. Download 2142_MapPack_v1.zip (MediaFire, 3.8GB). [See Step 1 Info]
- 2.Once the download is completed, click the MapPack Installer * button and select the .zip file you've downloaded.
- 3.A command-line window will pop up and close once the installation is completed.
- 4.If everything looks good, close the app.
Step 1: There is an option to download the maps individually. To do so, you may refer to the following instructions:
- In the Download tab, click Individual Maps.
- Select the maps that you want to download from the Available Maps box and click >>.
- To uninstall a map, select the map from the Installed Maps box and click <<.
Reclamation servers are unmodded, i.e., vanilla servers, but are run on a set of modified maps. The downloaded maps are installed in the /mods/bf2142/Levels folder, i.e., the vanilla folder.
To explore and switch between different master servers, it's better to use BF2142 Unlocker. But let's stick with OpenSpy at the moment until we get a more thorough understanding of how the game works.